Code of Practice for Handling Complaints
In this practice we take complaints very seriously indeed and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience of our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these objectives.
Complaints made to the practice
1. The person responsible for dealing with any complaints about the service is Zoe Harmer.
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her to Zoe Harmer. The member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone else to deal with it.
3. If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to Zoe Harmer.
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
5. We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint and a copy of this Code of Practice within three working days. You will be invited to discuss your concerns; we will seek to investigate the complaint within the agreed response period of the complaint being received to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within this agreed time period, we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
6. We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation. This will be within 14 days of the compliant received
7. Proper and comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received.
8. The practice welcomes all complaints; any patient that makes a complaint will not be adversely treated due to having complained. If you do not wish to complain directly to the Practice you can address your complaint directly to:
Dental Complaints Service
2 Cherry Orchard Road
Telephone: 020 8253 0800
(Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm)
General Dental Council
37 Wimpole Street
Telephone: 0845 222 4141 or 020 7887 3800